Answer ID  
  Select a Category  
  Sales and Use Tax
    Use Tax

 Printer Friendly Version of This Answer  Print Answer

 Email This Answer  Email Answer
  Use tax on goods purchased on the Internet or from out-of-state retailer

Q. What if I buy taxable goods or services from an out-of-state mail-order company, television shopping channel, or computerized shopping service and the vendor does not charge Connecticut tax?


A. If you buy goods or services for use in Connecticut, you owe and must remit use tax on those purchases. You report the use tax liability for purchases you made during the preceding calendar year either on your Connecticut income tax return or Form OP-186.

(Updated: 2015)

This answer is intended to provide general information concerning a frequently asked question about a current position, policy, or practice associated with the taxes administered by the Connecticut Department of Revenue Services.  It may include an informal interpretation of Connecticut tax law by the Department of Revenue Services (DRS).  However, it is not intended to serve as a legal ruling.

  Users who viewed this answer have also viewed