Connecticut Department of Revenue Services
Return to CT.Gov Home
State of Connecticut Department of Revenue Services
Taxpayer Answer Center
 Frequently Asked Questions 
Email DRS
 My Mailbox 
  show accessible links  
 Search by Category View Category Hierarchy
  Search Tips 

  Answer ID  
  Select a Category  
  Tax Enforcement Issues
    Delinquency Notices

 Printer Friendly Version of This Answer  Print Answer

 Email This Answer  Email Answer
  Received delinquency notice but business never started

Q.  Do I have to file a sales tax return if the business never started?


A.  If you never started your business, and do not intend to do so; return your permit to DRS with a letter stating that business never started.   You may also go to the TSC-BUS, the DRS electronic filing webpage, and close the business. However, if you do intend to conduct business, file the returns for delinquent periods, showing no activity.

This answer is intended to provide general information concerning a frequently asked question about a current position, policy, or practice associated with the taxes administered by the Connecticut Department of Revenue Services.  It may include an informal interpretation of Connecticut tax law by the Department of Revenue Services (DRS).  However, it is not intended to serve as a legal ruling.

  Users who viewed this answer have also viewed
Back to Search Results
  Back to Search Results  

Home | home | Send Feedback

State of Connecticut Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. Copyright © 2002, 2003, 2004 State of Connecticut.