Connecticut Department of Revenue Services
Return to CT.Gov Home
State of Connecticut Department of Revenue Services
Taxpayer Answer Center
 Frequently Asked Questions 
Email DRS
 My Mailbox 
  show accessible links  
 Search by Category View Category Hierarchy
  Search Tips 

  Answer ID  
  Select a Category  
  Individual Income Tax
    Estimated Taxes/Withholding
    Payment Options

 Printer Friendly Version of This Answer  Print Answer

 Email This Answer  Email Answer
  Refund of estimated tax paid in error

Q. When I filed last year’s return, I had the overpayment applied to this year’s income tax.  Now I realize that I will not owe any Connecticut income tax this year.  How can I get my estimated tax refunded to me?


A. A request to apply an overpayment to the next year’s tax is irrevocable.  You will have to file a return for this year in order to get a refund.  If you have no tax liability, you will receive a refund of the estimated payment after filing the return.

This answer is intended to provide general information concerning a frequently asked question about a current position, policy, or practice associated with the taxes administered by the Connecticut Department of Revenue Services.  It may include an informal interpretation of Connecticut tax law by the Department of Revenue Services (DRS).  However, it is not intended to serve as a legal ruling.

  Users who viewed this answer have also viewed
Back to Search Results
  Back to Search Results  

Home | home | Send Feedback

State of Connecticut Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. Copyright © 2002, 2003, 2004 State of Connecticut.