Connecticut Department of Revenue Services
Return to CT.Gov Home
State of Connecticut Department of Revenue Services
Taxpayer Answer Center
 Frequently Asked Questions 
Email DRS
 My Mailbox 
  show accessible links  
 Search by Category View Category Hierarchy
  Search Tips 

  Answer ID  
  Select a Category  
  Individual Income Tax
    Estimated Taxes/Withholding

 Printer Friendly Version of This Answer  Print Answer

 Email This Answer  Email Answer
  I don't have a W-2 form from my employer

Q. I never received Form W-2 from my employer (or I lost my W-2 Form) and I don't have a record of wages or State tax withholding.  What should I do?


A. Take the following steps:

1. Contact your employer or former employer to request the W-2 form.  The employer is required to provide the form showing the prior year's wages and withholding to you by January 31st of the following year; or

2. Go to the Internal Revenue Service to request a copy of the W-2 form.  That form will provide you with the amount of taxable wages and the amount of federal income tax withholding but not the amount of Connecticut income tax withholding.

3. Complete Form CT-4852, Substitute For Forms W-2 and 1099-R, and retain that form with your income tax records. (Do not attach Form CT-4852 to your Connecticut income tax return.) You may use pay stubs from the employer to document the wages and withholding. If you do not have pay stubs to document the amounts, fill in as much of the information as you can concerning you and your employer.  State in Box 10 that you do not have a record of the wages or withholding and have attempted unsuccessfully to obtain the information from the employer. Keep a copy of the W-2 obtained from the Internal Revenue Service with the CT-4852.

Use the information that you enter on the CT-4852 to enter on Part 3 of your Connecticut income tax return.

The Department will make a good faith effort to determine the amount withheld by the employer or employers from your wages.

This answer is intended to provide general information concerning a frequently asked question about a current position, policy, or practice associated with the taxes administered by the Connecticut Department of Revenue Services.  It may include an informal interpretation of Connecticut tax law by the Department of Revenue Services (DRS).  However, it is not intended to serve as a legal ruling.

  Users who viewed this answer have also viewed
Back to Search Results
  Back to Search Results  

Home | home | Send Feedback

State of Connecticut Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. Copyright © 2002, 2003, 2004 State of Connecticut.