Connecticut Department of Revenue Services
Return to CT.Gov Home
State of Connecticut Department of Revenue Services
Taxpayer Answer Center
 Frequently Asked Questions 
Email DRS
 My Mailbox 
  show accessible links  
 Search by Category View Category Hierarchy
  Search Tips 

  Answer ID  
  Select a Category  
  Sales and Use Tax
    Sales Subject to Tax
      Digital Downloads
      Discount Cards
      Environmental Services
      Home Health Aids
      Payroll Processing
      Portable Toilet Rentals
      Roof Warranties
      Satellite Radio
      Solar Energy

 Printer Friendly Version of This Answer  Print Answer

 Email This Answer  Email Answer
  Making sales on the Internet

Q. I am making sales on the Internet. Do I need to collect Connecticut Sales Tax?


A. If you are a business located in Connecticut and will be selling goods on the Internet, you must obtain a Connecticut Sales and Use Tax Permit. You must complete Form REG-1 Business Taxes Registration with the Department and pay the $100 registration fee to obtain a Sales and Use Tax Permit. For more information, review Applying for a Sales Tax Permit. Connecticut sales tax applies to the sale of taxable goods if the title to the goods transfers to the buyer in Connecticut. In the case of sales made over the Internet, you must charge Connecticut sales tax on any taxable items that are shipped to a Connecticut address. Items ordered over the Internet and shipped by the seller directly to an address outside of Connecticut are not subject to Connecticut sales tax and are considered "out of state sales".

Once you register, you must file sales tax returns for each reporting period and report all of your sales, even if you do not make any sales or do not collect any tax. Review the rules on Filing Timely Returns.

(Updated: 2015)

This answer is intended to provide general information concerning a frequently asked question about a current position, policy, or practice associated with the taxes administered by the Connecticut Department of Revenue Services.  It may include an informal interpretation of Connecticut tax law by the Department of Revenue Services (DRS).  However, it is not intended to serve as a legal ruling.

  Users who viewed this answer have also viewed
Back to Search Results
  Back to Search Results  

Home | home | Send Feedback

State of Connecticut Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. Copyright © 2002, 2003, 2004 State of Connecticut.