Connecticut Department of Revenue Services
Return to CT.Gov Home
State of Connecticut Department of Revenue Services
Taxpayer Answer Center
 Frequently Asked Questions 
Email DRS
 My Mailbox 
  show accessible links  
 Search by Category View Category Hierarchy
  Search Tips 

  Answer ID  
  Select a Category  
  Registration for Business Taxes
    Changes to an Existing Account

 Printer Friendly Version of This Answer  Print Answer

 Email This Answer  Email Answer
  Reporting change in business structure

Q. What must I do if I change the structure of my business? (Such as changing from a sole proprietor to a corporation.)


A. If you are required by the Internal Revenue Service to obtain a Federal Employer Identification Number (FEIN) or obtain a new FEIN in connection with the change in business structure, you will be required to obtain a new Connecticut tax registration number by completing Form REG-1, Application for Business Taxes Registration. You will also need to close your old account by following the directions on our webpage for Closing or Ending Your Business in Connecticut.

If you are not required to obtain a new FEIN in connection with the change in business structure, notify the Department's Registration Unit in writing of the change in business structure.  Mail the notification to:

Department of Revenue Services
Registration Maintenance Unit
PO Box 2937
Hartford CT 06104-2937

This answer is intended to provide general information concerning a frequently asked question about a current position, policy, or practice associated with the taxes administered by the Connecticut Department of Revenue Services.  It may include an informal interpretation of Connecticut tax law by the Department of Revenue Services (DRS).  However, it is not intended to serve as a legal ruling.

  Users who viewed this answer have also viewed
Back to Search Results
  Back to Search Results  

Home | home | Send Feedback

State of Connecticut Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. Copyright © 2002, 2003, 2004 State of Connecticut.