Connecticut Department of Revenue Services
Return to CT.Gov Home
State of Connecticut Department of Revenue Services
About UsPrograms and ServicesPublicationsFormsContact UsHome
Taxpayer Answer Center
 Frequently Asked Questions 
Email DRS
 My Mailbox 
  show accessible links  
 Search by Category View Category Hierarchy
  Search Tips 

  Answer ID  
  Select a Category  
  Sales and Use Tax
    Use Tax

 Printer Friendly Version of This Answer  Print Answer

 Email This Answer  Email Answer
  Use tax

Q. What is the use tax?


A.  If a business purchases taxable goods or services for use in a trade or business (such as office furniture, computers, and supplies) and the seller does not charge Connecticut sales tax, it must report purchases subject to the use tax on Form OS-114, Connecticut Sales and Use Tax Return, for the period in which the purchases are made. Items that are purchased for resale and are subsequently taken out of inventory by the business and either used by the business or given away are subject to sales and use taxes.  If an item purchased in another state already was subject to that state’s sales tax, credit for the tax may generally be taken when computing the Connecticut use tax.  Common purchases that are subject to use tax would be supplies or equipment purchased by Internet or mail order sales since the vendor is rarely required to collect sales tax.

This answer is intended to provide general information concerning a frequently asked question about a current position, policy, or practice associated with the taxes administered by the Connecticut Department of Revenue Services.  It may include an informal interpretation of Connecticut tax law by the Department of Revenue Services (DRS).  However, it is not intended to serve as a legal ruling.

  Users who viewed this answer have also viewed
Back to Previous Document
  Back to Previous Document  

Home | home | Send Feedback

State of Connecticut Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. Copyright © 2002, 2003, 2004 State of Connecticut.